Monday, May 11, 2009

Thoughts on the Paper

Students:

Someone asked me about a timeline for finishing the paper on time, and here was my reply. I realize many of you work best under pressure/fully plan on procrastinating. So take this as a suggestion.

This week. Pick your authors and outline their arguments.

Next week. Come in to office hours with those outlines and just your
thoughts about why you like these authors. Out line each author in terms
of our weekly theoretical categories. Think about what
assumptions/implications they have in common, and how they differ.

Week 9. If you haven't been to office hours yet definitely come this week. Develop a thesis statement and outline the paper. Run a first draft if possible.

Week 10. Bring a draft to office hours [with your questions about it--I won't read drafts]. Revise and turn in on Friday.


But I encourage all of you to come to my office hours, even if it's just to bounce ideas around. I feel that that part of the process is much more important than the writing. If you sit down to write this paper and haven't thought about it, you're probably going to stare at the screen a while.

No comments: