Monday, July 21, 2008

Reply to all Questions

Avi and everyone else:

To answer these questions, not entire in order:

The full guidelines for the paper are in the syllabus, but the length is 10-15 double-spaced pages. Please do not go over 15 pages except for the bibliography.

Expect to have only 5-7 minutes for your powerpoint presentations unfortunately, as we'll have almost 15 people going in each class meeting.

Your examples from Banham and Relph are for better or for worse accurate. Study to that level of depth for Banham, which I think is feasible since he only has 4 ecologies and 4 architectures. Studying to that level of depth for Relph is less feasible, but what can I say? Sometimes school is difficult. But don't kill yourself trying to nail down every person and building he discusses, instead think of the major architectural/urban planning movements he discusses, and find some key people & buildings for each. I think your list does a good job of that.

As for sample questions, these were discussed in the review session. Again as follows

IDs:
Modernism or the International Style
Mies Van Der Rohe
The Illinois Institute of Technology
*Remember I am expecting 3 things from each ID: definition, significance/example, and citation. You can cite lecture where appropriate, but I expect at least 5 different citations across the 10 IDs.


Essay:
Discuss 3 of the 4 following architectural & urban design periods discussed by Relph. Modern Town Planning, the First Machine Age, Modernism & the International Style, and Postmodernism.

**Remember I am expecting a thesis statement in your introductory paragraph; even though the prompts are open-ended, you need to give me a clear argument. Simplicity is ok, even preferred! But I do not want a simple regurgitation of the books or lecture, I need to hear your thoughts and opinions on the material. Remember, I've already read these books and I know what they say--what do you think of them?


Multiple Choice:
Who among the following postmodernists argued that contrary to prevailing opinion, there is much to learn from Las Vegas' architecture and design?
--Denise Scott Brown
--Phillip Johnson
--Michael Graves
--Frank Gehry

For Herzog's book, I said in the review session that you should focus on the cities he discusses and what we can learn from them. Why does he choose the cities he does? How do they differ? What are his conclusions about successful/unsuccessful public spaces?

If I missed anything let me know. See you tomorrow.

No comments: